Here's another entry into the Hack Vornheim Contest
As a Dungeon Master, roleplaying and presenting taverns can be kind of a chore. There's an unspoken truth that most adventure hooks and plot threads can be found or begin in an inn or tavern. It's also where a lot of adventures or dungeon crawls end, after heroes have slogged their way through monsters and mayhem.
Mechanically, they're usually just waystops for PCs to rest and recharge between sessions of fighting stuff or exploring; usually given little description other than the inn/tavern's name and that "There's a mysterious looking old man/woman/elf drinking in the corner".
Liven up your taverns, bars, and inns with a little live entertainment (Some of which might have an adventure hook in them). Here's a d20 table to accompany the ones found in Vornheim: The Complete City Kit on page 62.
d20 Random Live Entertainment Table:
1. Whole taproom is singing a morose dirge about a sorrowful anniversary.
2. A lone Satyr bard plays the pan-pipes. No one thinks its bizarre.
3. Jaunty tune being played on a piano. No player is present at the piano. It's a haunted piano.
4. Two enormous, muscular men perform oiled up feats of strength. Much coin in betting on it.
5. Troupe of halflings performing a jig on the bar. Sour looking wizard will pay you to stop them.
6. A bookish elven woman plays an foreign instrument. Melody is familiar to one PC's childhood.
7. Busty human exotic dancers strip to attractive female bard's music.
8. Brawny human exotic dancers strip to attractive male bard's music.
9. Gnome performs hilarious stand-up routine. Needs bodyguards to accompany him tomorrow.
10. Gnome performs terrible stand-up routine. Needs bodyguards RIGHT NOW.
11. Tiefling playing an exotic flute. Bar filled with cat-calls from drunken men/women.
12. Wizard conjures up faerie lights and a magical spectacle. Offers to teach a PC how.
13. Sadistic looking dragonborn carves up a live giant insect. Offers patrons pieces to eat.
14. Equivalent of a great cover band.
15. Karaoke night. If players sing a little, they get a bonus to next dice roll.
16. Beautiful monster women use giant tongues to eat insects. Patrons uncomfortably aroused.
17. Bard troupe retells the PC's previous exploits.
18. Bard troupe retells the PC's previous exploits with glaring inaccuracies.
19. Bard troupe tells PC's exploits incorrectly in effort to discredit them. Paid to by a local lord.
20. Taproom absolutely silent. Speaking is countered by frantic 'Shhh!'ing. Devious.