Monday, November 28, 2011

Hanging Tag Collection (plus updates)

At the moment, I don't really have much to blog about on the subject of D&D.

Nothing positive, at the very least.

D&D Encounter Episodes won't be continuing through Beyond The Crystal Cave. It's just not in the budget or schedule at the moment. Much as I'd like to do it, I simply don't have the time or resources to commit to it in any meaningful way. To fans of the series, I'm sorry.

That said, I will be doing an alternate podcast of the complete season at some point, with some veterans of the YouTube series.

Lair Assault is still something I'm tentatively excited about (who knew), but we've yet to give it a try.

That, and I really don't have a home campaign to turn to in order to really observe the game in any meaningful way. The best way to learn more about D&D and games in general is to, y'know, play a lot of D&D and games. I don't have the luxury of doing so at the moment.

So rather than posting nothing, here's something kinda fun about hanging tags.

The following little scraps of paper are ones I'd used to represent both heroes, monsters, NPCs, and villains throughout two seasons of D&D Encounters, as well as a few home games. The art is crude and cartoony, but it conveys the proper character information and feeling most of the time. I never claimed to be an artist. I'm just a doodler who never learned how to quit.

The heroes of Dark Legacy of Evard


The heroes of Lost Crown of Neverwinter


Some notable NPCs and villains


and monsters

I imagine there will be many more hanging tags in my D&D future. Every dungeon master I know seems to have some tell-tale quirk or specific mannerism that makes them stand out. Given how new I am at the role, I'm thinking hanging tags are mine at the moment.

That, or my tendency to make affable NPCs and speak in "bad DM" accents.

3 comments:

  1. Thornskin Frogs were adorable. Sporeback Frog looked like fungusy Bulbasaur. The Lost Heir looks like Shredder from TMNT, somehow I never noticed before. The rather dapper Frenzied Werewolf rocking the top hat was just bad ass. Admittedly that’s also partly because of the ensuing post slaughter struggle amongst the PCs as to who gets his hat. I think your hanging tags are defiantly part of your signature as a DM, and your voices aren’t bad (they were part of “Sir Werewolf’s” charm). I think though, more than anything, it’s your passion and preparation coupled with a natural story telling ability that make your hands down the best DM I’ve played with. Your games have defiantly been more immersive than other DMs I know. As a DM you make sure to keep the RP in RPG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the facial expressions. Lots of emotion for the simplicity of line.

    ReplyDelete